[Nottingham] Living with Sid

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Thu Nov 6 17:13:02 GMT 2003

I had some excellent advice from one of the gurus I spoke to at the
Awareness Day (you know who you are!) who suggested that Debian stable
is watched over by the security team, and unstable is watched over by
the original developers and the package maintainers, but packages in
testing are somewhat in limbo. He therefore suggested that servers
ought to be running stable (woody) and desktops ought to run unstable
(sid). He even went so far as to suggest that unstable was no more
unstable than a distro like Red Hat.

I have duly updated my box at home (originally Libranet) to sid, and I
have to report that I have had not problems at all. Au contraire, I
find that Kpilot is working properly for the first time ever (on any
distro that I have tried). All is well and I am a happy camper.

But I understand that things occasionally go wrong with sid, though
things are soon patched up again. It seems to me that if I do frequent
dist-upgrades then I am likely to run into a problem sooner or later.
It might be sensible to do dist-upgrades at fairly lengthy intervals,
but to repeat them a few days later if things get broken.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy, and if so what would be a
sensible frequency for dist-upgrades with sid?

Mike

--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>