[Nottingham] A newbie speaks... nervously

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Nov 27 13:50:33 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 13:37, Matt Hurst wrote:
> 3. I'm on ntl cable broadband, using an external modem (one of the silver
>    ones) through my USB port, and Knoppix is a bit iffy about it.
>    Sometimes it'll function flawlessly. Sometimes it's okay for a few
>    minutes then drops the connection. Is there a known Linux driver for
>    these things? What's the best way round it, because the absence of a
>    net connection really is the deal breaker when it comes to Linux.

USB or ethernet? Our company backup line is actually an NTL cablemodem
and running off of ethernet it works just fine. As I think they all
support both, it may be worth just setting it up as ethernet (your
windows install should be ok to detect it, I would expect but Im not a
windows expert {:-) )
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com