[Nottingham] Patents considered harmful?

Peter Woods nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 19:34:01 2003

I wrote to as many MEPs as I could find for
this "constituancy", 1 for each party.

They almost all ignored the question, which
was "What is your position?"
and one blasted back that "stating patents
are a bad idea is not good enough"

Dear Peter Woods
To persuade me how to vote on this, one way
or the other, you need to tell me more than
"It is a very bad idea".
Can you give me your reasons, please ?
Bill Newton Dunn

(Continued at end.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Mr Woods,

Thank you for emailing me with regard to the
Software Patentability
Directive.

The main issue under consideration in the
development of this Directive is
under what circumstances patents should be
granted for software
programmes.

The main bone of contention is whether
software programmes are a technical
invention, and should thus be patentable, or
whether software programmes,
due to their nature as a collection of
algorithms, cannot be defined as an
invention per se, and should thus not be
subject to patentability laws. If
software programmes are defined as codes, or
algorithms, then patenting is
not necessary as the code in its written form
is protected by copyright
law.

By allowing patents for software, there is a
risk that software innovation
will become restricted, due to the expense to
smaller companies to pay the
licence fee to a large company to use its
patent. On the other hand, by
permitting patenting of software, smaller
innovators can benefit from
licensing out their software programme.

Whilst I see the value of harmonising
European standards, in its current
form the Software Patentability Directive
proposed by the European
Commission would amend the patentability
criteria laid down in 1972 by the
European Patent Convention to a patenting
regime modelled on that of the
United States, at the very moment when
critics in that country are
forcefully condemning it. The proposal has
also been strongly criticised
by the Economic and Social Council of the EU
and the German Monopoly
Commission, as well as by Liberal Democrats
in this country.

This legislation is still in its very early
stages - it will be some time
before the final shape of the Directive is
known. However, please rest
assured that along with my Liberal Democrat
peers I will be working to
amend the Directive as it stands.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Clegg MEP