[Nottingham] TMPDIR weirdness with X logins

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 19:01:01 2003

Anyone happen to have any ideas on this funny?

TMPDIR is set in .bash_profile, other exports from .bash_profile are
respected., and I am sure as I have debug log.

Under KDE login, the value is reset to the system default.
Under blackbox, the value is unset completely.

Other exports are respected, maybe it's an issue because of way initial login
is done, and perhaps somewhere the window manager and X startup code, feel
need to censor the user environment.

I can override with .bashrc, but I'd like to know why this happening.

Rob