[Nottingham] email woes

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 20:05:06 2003

David Bean wrote:
> I'm messing with my email, so it's nicer. What is the benefit of using
> IMAP, over mounting home with the Maildir in?

As with many things in Linux, its all your choice...

I assume that you are going to use nfs to mount your maildir? Well, you
could get caught out by the user IDs being different between the host
and remote machine, or from the mail file be locked out unexpectedly by
the second machine... Or whatever else...

Keeping maildir accesses local sounds like a safer solution. Also, IMAP
is designed for keeping mail in one place whilst accessinging it from
multiple locations.

> I'm currently using fetchmail, exim, then courier-imap, then evolution
> (on 2 pc's). Would my setup be simpler if I cut out courier-imap?
> Is Maildir suitable for multiple connections at the same time?

Sounds 'interesting'...

> The reason I'm doing this is because I can't get exim filters to work...
> but I'm not prepared to ask for help just yet!

Let us know what you 'discover'.

Good luck,
Martin

(Playing with Postfix and Fetchmail amongst various blunderings...)

martin@ml1.co.uk