[Nottingham] LPI Certification.

David Ginger nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 10:05:01 2003

<snip>
On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 9:41 pm, Mo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Has anyone taken any of the LPI certification exams. Does anyone know
> where you can get a copy of the syllabus / Course content for the LPI's.
> I thinking of taking level one and would like to knwo what I need to
> cram. I've looked for a couple of LPI books, I guess I'll probably go
> with what i know best and stick with O'Reilly. Any advise is
> appreciated.
<snip>

Try getting hold of a copy of this book :
"Rute" - "User's Tutorial and Exposition" - by Paul Sheer.

It comes as standard with the better Linux Distro's as a PDF document, I
searched around and got hold of an HTML copy. You can also purchase a printed
version.

<sample of RUTE>
1.6 Linux Professionals Institute (LPI) and
 RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Requirements

The difference between being able to pass an exam and being able to do
something useful, of course, is huge.

The LPI and RHCE are two certifications that introduce you to LINUX. This book
covers far more than both these two certifications in most places, but
occasionally leaves out minor items as an exercise. It certainly covers in
excess of what you need to know to pass both these certifications.

The LPI and RHCE requirements are given in Appendix B and C.

These two certifications are merely introductions to UNIX. To earn them, users
are not expected to write nifty shell scripts to do tricky things, or
understand the subtle or advanced features of many standard services, let
alone be knowledgeable of the enormous numbers of non-standard and useful
applications out there. To be blunt: you can pass these courses and still be
considered quite incapable by the standards of companies that do system
integration. [System integration is my own term. It refers to the act of
getting LINUX to do nonbasic functions, like writing complex shell scripts;
setting up wide-area dialup networks; creating custom distributions; or
interfacing database, web, and email services together.] In fact, these
certifications make no reference to computer programming whatsoever.
</sample of RUTE>