[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 09:57:00 2003

On Wednesday 17 Sep 2003 09:24, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:04:20AM +0100, Robert Davies wrote:
> > lwn.net has a subscriber article (available for all in a week)
> > analysing SCO's financial statement known as a 10Q, a couple of things
> > are of interest.
>
> Are you allowed to redistribute such things?

Most of that is freely available information from
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1102542/000110465903020700/a03-3388_110q.htm,
whilst you might like to argue about the other 2 sentences pasted, perhaps
you'ld look at what Web News sites do, when they link to articles on other
sites with short extracts, or anyone reviewing some work.

That is in fact typical lwn.net's practice, small taster sections, they even
completely copy and re-format some pages eg) Gentoo Weekly News.  They *are*
linked to regularly by other new's sites, benefit from the exposure, so I
would say, "yes", though I take your point, and will take an extra minute to
review analysis in my own words, should the situation arise again, to be
ultra-cautious.

Everyone will be able to read http://lwn.net/Articles/49390/ themselves after
one week, previously they made SCO analysis freely available, and became
slashdotted as a result.  The Editor announced that in future, such articles
would be released first to subscribers to avoid SCO issues becoming a DoS.

Rob