[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 09:33:59 2003

On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 08:57, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Robert Postill wrote:

> The information I have suggests that the SCO deal relates purely to some
> drivers used in Solaris x86 probably because they needed them in a hurry.
> SunOS itself does not use code which needs licensing from SCO however
> Solaris does because it is based on SysV.

Presumably if that is the case, Sun will shortly strongly deny being the 2nd
licensee.  Most drivers for Solaris x86, would have been either part of
original source rights, or purchased and ported long ago from SCO, as part of
Solaris x86 effort (AT&T SysV rel 4 supported x86).  The price involved seems
rather high for the rights to a few new drivers.

SunOS <=4, Solaris 1 with BrokenWindows was BSD based, SunOS 5+ / Solaris 2+
were result of  Unix International alliance with AT&T.  Let's be clear, Sun
purchased outright permanent source license rights, (as did IBM) and they
have no reason to pay repeat license fees on Solaris for Sys V rel 4 code.

I wondered if Sun were covering potential legal liabilities for the Sun Linux
Java Desktop, better known as mad-hatter, that they are launching.  They
might have felt compelled to 'insure' mad-hatter due to timing of case, and
concern over what pitch to make to corporates.  Perhaps (speculating) Sun
Linux will be marketed as a 'SCO safe' product.

On the SCO exec's, they have only sold about 2% of the company according to
Linux Jornal coverage, probably their statements about having to sell to
cover tax liabilities have some truth behind it, so I don't think they're
going to be caught doing crude insider trading.

Rob