[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Jon Masters nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 10:10:04 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Robert Davies wrote:

> On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 08:57, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Robert Postill wrote:
> > The information I have suggests that the SCO deal relates purely to some
> > drivers used in Solaris x86 probably because they needed them in a hurry.
>
> Jon, sorry for 2nd response, but what information?

Mostly a collection of public documents and responses and the knowledge
that the SunOS kernel is pretty much free from SCO licensing clutches.

The userspace as was pointed out so rightly on Sheflug is not a rewrite
and does depend upon whatever current licensing covers SysV.
Personally I agree that Sun did this mostly to get themselves out of any
legal action involving systems running a Linux kernel with GNU software.

Jon.