[Nottingham] iptables log analysis

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 20:45:00 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Martin wrote:

> Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> [...]

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I wasn't particularly worried about what I was seeing in the logs
but sometimes I like to check that what I think is happening is what is
actually happening.  Writing an iptables script is easy.  Being convinced
it is doing what I think it should be doing is something else all together
(cf. my dropping the NTL UBR)

<big snip>

> These are from your ntl UBR. Its trying to talk to you!

Thanks for that.

> For all things ntl and internet, see:
>
> The fount of all UK Cable Modem wisdom, Robin Walker's pages at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html.

Thanks for the reminder.
This has been much improved since I last read it.
Further question though.....

My normal ntl dhcp server  62.254.0.21 = dhcp2-nott.server.ntli.net.
I should presumably be using 62.254.0.20 = dhcp1-nott.server.ntli.net.
as the backup.

Lead on by the line "option dhcp-server-identifier 62.254.0.50;"
in my dhclient.leases I have also found:

62.254.0.50     = dhcp1b-nott.server.ntli.net.
...51           = dhcp2b-nott.server.ntli.net.
...52           = dhcp1c-nott.server.ntli.net.
...53           = dhcp2c-nott.server.ntli.net.

should I care about them as well or are some of these for set top box people ?

> Good luck,
> Martin

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,