[Nottingham] local BCS branch hold meetings on open source

Godfrey Nix nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 06:55:01 2003

> Awareness Day 1st November
> --------------------------
>

> 3. Anyone knowing of parties that may be interested pass the word.
>
> 4. Any ideas ?
>

> The future
> ----------
>
> The awareness day isn't just a chance for us to demo linux to lots (?) of eager people
> but also a chance for us to test ourselves - can we organise a drinking competition in a
> brewery.  Some of us have been discussing a larger NotLug Expo type event for next year
> including the "business case for Linux".  At the very least the awareness day is a dry
> run for that.
>
> Have fun,
> Duncan

We at the LUG have been 'beaten to it' by the local branch of the BCS
I have just found out that the committee that organises the local
'Winter School' (three meetings in October actually, Monday evenings)
has chosen as their topic, guess what ? "Open Source" !!

Anyone interested in going? Show our ahem, 'support' ? It will be a
chance to meet with loads of management level types who are all senior
IT folks. Usual plan of meeting is 6.30 for coffee/bikkies and
opportunity to meet/chat to others, then talk/presentation at 7pm
followed by time for discussion /Q&A session.

The Novotel, J25, M1

6 October Tim Anderson journalist "The Open Source Revolution"

13 October two from IBM UK "The provider's perspective"

20 October Mike Storey of Nexus "Moving towards Open Source"

To quote from the flyer that went out (about 1000 members in the local
branch) - "Exploring what it is and what it can (and can't) do. there
will be a strong emphasis on practical use and examples of success"

There is a charge for the meetings, 5 quid for one or 10 for all three.
If interested, contact the branch treasurer, nottm-treas@bcs.org.uk or
turn up on the night.

Regards,

Godfrey

PS for those who do not know, the BCS (British Computer Society) is a
member of the Engineering Council, and represents the IT industry at
government level and to other professional bodies. BCS members are
entitled to the letters AMBCS (Associate member) MBCS (member) or FBCS
(Fellow)

[ Godfrey Nix MBCS, C.Eng ]