[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 12:08:00 2003

On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 08:57, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Robert Postill wrote:

> The information I have suggests that the SCO deal relates purely to some
> drivers used in Solaris x86 probably because they needed them in a hurry.
> SunOS itself does not use code which needs licensing from SCO however
> Solaris does because it is based on SysV.

This article and statement by Sun rather ties in with them most likely having
paid the SCO protection money, they talk about "indemnifying their customers"
for Sun Linxux Java Desktop, attack IBM and talk up their "safe, compelling
and affordable product" Solaris on Intel.

Indemnification has been one of the FUD issues brought up, commercial products
indemnify up to purchase price, which most often doesn't help much if it
comes to legal fees.  Sun can likely afford this offer of indemnification,
because they've done a deal with SCO, which is reflected in the SCO accounts.

Rob