[Nottingham] Opensource devel environment?

Philip Scott scotty at philipscott.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 20:00:22 BST 2003

Greetings,

> Any suggestions and recommendations of good stuff / bad stuff / potential
> pit-falls before I pseudo-randomly start trying out stuff would be much
> appreciated!!

I can't recommend QT (www.trolltech.com) to you enough, it's API is stable,
clean and very well documented. Code can be easily ported to Windows and
MacOS as well as just about any hardware that can run Linux (from Sparcs to
iPaqs) The bundled dialog editor is excellent, for templates there are many
examples, but the best way is to use kdevelop which integrates very smoothly
and gives you a nice build setup (configure.ac and Makefile.am and the like)
to make autotools work nicely for you, although of course, this is completely
optional.

One other thing for QT is its beautiful syntax, it has a professionally
designed way of connecting GUI objects togeather; it just feels  like you're
using something that was designed, rather than something which evolved (which
is a fine model of development for many, many things, but it is questionable
if it is the perfect one in this case)

Very happy coding! (And if you get stuck, I might well be able to help you so
do give a shout)

Kind Regards,
	Philip