[Nottingham] The battle of the distros.

Robert Postill robert at grinning-cat.com
Tue Sep 30 20:53:59 BST 2003

Dear All,
After last month's Battle Of The Distros we have ended up with a
winner.

Morphix.

Morphix won by a nose (it was *very* close) due to a couple of things:
1. Morphix has some nice touches like an nVidia driver and booting
straight to X with a minimum of fuss.
2. A minimal amount of choice was afforded to the user and the apps were
generally high-order affairs (i.e. OOo, Evolution, Mozilla with Flash).
3. A bit of debian in there for the more committed soul.
All-in-all the field was good and the distros generally gave good
account of themselves.

What now?
Well now we need the following documentation:
1. A full tutorial on how to write a letter in OOo.
2. A full tutorial on how to write a simple spreadsheet.
3. A full tutorial on connecting to the Internet.
4. A full tutorial to getting e-mail and stopping spam.
5. A full tutorial to using IM on Morphix.
4. A full tutorial on editing a photo with The GIMP.
5. A handy sheet of hints and tips for the use of Morphix.
6. Some simple dos and don'ts for keeping a healthy distro.
7. A gaming on Linux type guide (I'm sure Michael may have some valuable
input there :).
Each of the above need to be e-mailed to me ASAP and then we'll make
sure at least 30 copies of each are printed.
Some high quality marketing-style success stories explaining how Linux
is used and why.  Think of filling an A3 sheet.
We need some A5 flyers.
We need a final kit list (if you offer off-list I'll collate the
offers).
We would be grateful for mentions and plugs wherever possible.
About 50 copies of Morphix (I believe the latest release is 0.4) burnt
on CD.  Also 10-15 copies of SuSE Live Eval 8.2 again on CD.

There's more, I know there is.  I'm just stumped if I can think of it.
Robert.

--
Robert Postill
robert at grinning-cat.com