[Nottingham] Preventing console starting on embedded arm-linux setup

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 08:23:31 BST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Ant Allen wrote:
> > use the kernel command line
> > "console=ttyS1"
> > should do the trick.
>
> Still got tux and a flashing cursor ;-(
> By default I have the following command line:
>
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,38400 root=/dev/nand
>
> This is already pointing the console to ttyS0, right?

Yup, the problem is that it isn't the kernel that's outputting to the
screen, it's the boot loader.  It's the same with grub, when I use a
serial console instead of the screen I still end up with:
  Booting commandlist

kernel (hd0,3)/vmlinuz2.6.6 root=/dev/hdb6 ro console=ttys0
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0xa00,size=0xf21db]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

So I guess what is needed is for the boot loader to clear the screen for
you.  I don't know how you would do that, but if all else fails the source
will probably be available for yours...

--
Mark O'Shea