[Nottingham] HDD cloning via LAN

Martin Garton martin at wrasse.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 16:46:48 BST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Martin wrote:

> Given two laptops, what is the best way to clone the hdd from one onto
> the other using their LAN connections?
>
> That is, what mini-distro or utility is there to do:
> dd if=ip-of-laptop1/dev/hda of=ip-of-laptop2/dev/hda

If they have cdroms boot them both from your favourite cd distro and
from laptop2 do something like:

(untested)

ssh ip-of-laptop1 dd if=/dev/hda | dd of=/dev/hda

others will no doubt tell me why thats a bad idea(?)

Cheers,
Martin.

--
"it is important that we do not pretend that an entitlement card would be
an overwhelming factor in combating international terrorism" - David