[Nottingham] ironic Xserver failure

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 12:08:37 BST 2004

>No, I really doubt it's due to a multi-user environment.
Agreed.  Trouble is it does seem to happen when running custom software.  worthy of later investigation...

> It's straightforward enough to use something like rsync to replicate a
>filesystem's contents.
Fairpoint.  Anotherthing to look into *when time allows*

>Seeing as you're running Red Hat, find the relevant rpms.

New even to grep!  But using #rpm -qa | grep XFree gives:
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-2
XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xdm-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-15-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-9-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xfs-4.3.0-2
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-2
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-base-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-4.3.0-2
XFree86-twm-4.3.0-2
XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-14-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-15-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-2-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-9-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-14-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-ISO8859-2-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-syriac-fonts-4.3.0-2

So presumably I need XFree86-4.3.0-2  So I tried:

# rpm -ivh --force XFree86-4.3.0-2
and
# rpm -ivh --force XFree86-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm

with the response:
error: open of XFree86-4.3.0-2.90.55.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory
each time.

I've got the rpm man pages up, but does anyone know of an 'idiots guide to..'?

Having got some local advice from the one Tech-support guy who seems interested (and may even spare some time!) my plan is now to get all the XFree rpms off the installation cd and re-install the lot.  The more I read round this the more I get the feeling that I've lost font servers and libraries as well!

>you did split off a /home partition so you reinstall the OS without vaping your users work didn't you...
Good news is that yes, I belive I did and all!  I'll try and get the rellavent log files off at some point, but I'm trying to fit this in around rheometry of silicone elastomers, so it may not be today!

Thank for the advice, and I'll let you know how I get on,

Dave

PS first thing when I get this back is a disc with /var, /etc and ony other suggestions...