[Nottingham] Solaris

Roger Light Roger.Light at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 09:41:07 BST 2004

Hi Josh,

> I have just got a Solaris 9 box (thanks Richard) so am looking for
> some websites that other Solaris users visit.

pkg-get for Solaris. Couldn't live without it. Much easier than sunfreeware!

http://www.blastwave.org/

> Also I am hoping to use the box as a server so any tips/software etc
> for protecting it from nasties on the WWW would be greatfully
> accepted.

Solaris security primer.

http://www.sunperf.com/Security.html

> Only used Solaris for about 5 mins so far, I'm a total newb.

Just be aware that some Solaris commands are called the same as Linux ones but do different things. Case in point - killall. On Solaris this "kills all processes not directly related to the shutdown procedure". Not quite the behaviour you would expect coming from Linux!

You've got to love the different syntax for some commands as well. Why have

/sbin/shutdown -r now

when you could have

/usr/sbin/shutdown -i 6 -g 0 -y

Yum.