[Nottingham] Buying broadband and computers - who is best out there?

Simon Osborne flibblesan at coconutsmusume.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 14:15:25 BST 2004

jdel wrote:
> Hello NLUG,
>
> I'm getting a grant for a project I'm working on next month and I'll be
> getting broadband (for a year if I have to) but I'd like to know who
> provides the most reliable, fastest installed, and best supported
> service in Nottingham.  I don't have a POTS line, but would get one if
> necessary.  In NYC I had cable, but I'd rather go with a DSL line here.
> I'm not sure if they even provide broadband over the television cable
> networks here.

Simple. Go for ntl. It's a cable service, they do TV and phoneline too
and the broadband is through the cable. You can have it standalong if
you like.

300k is 17.99 a month, 750 is 24.99 & 1.5mb is 37.99 per month.

> Also, I recall using an ISP that gave out a free Solaris
> shell when you subscribed to a dialup account, so any perks like that
> would be a plus.

I don't know of any ISP in the UK that does this, certainly not the
larger ones.

> Can anyone recommend and/or get me a copy of a good
> distro that doesn't try to do too much automagically?

If you like Slackware I have Slack 10 that you can have. I didn't get on
with it.

Simon