[Nottingham] Which distribution?

Ebrahim Makda e.makda at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 1 16:49:27 GMT 2004

Ron Wilton wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a computer with Windows 95 Second edition, but am also wanting
> to install Linux.
>
> Is there a distribution that can reformat the hard-drive without
> losing the existing Windows setup?

Yes, Mandrake, Suse (and probably all other desktop distributions) have
facilities during the install phase to re partition a hard disk

> I'm hoping to have both Linux and Windows operating on the same
> hard-drive (but on different partitions) until I have successfully got
> everything working under Linux.

I would suggest first de fragmenting your hard disk in windows 95 ( so
that all the data relating to win 95 is located in one area of the hard
disk rather than being fragmented all over the hard disk) - this should
give you a sizeable contiguous area on the hard disk  to install Linux in.

E.