[Nottingham] Gaim on the Microbe Softie Messenger Problem

Richard Morris richard at tannery.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 21:03:17 GMT 2004

> Can anyone out there tell me how to get gaim to work with Microbe Softie
> Messenger network, as it dose not seam to like connecting. I have tried
> to get Kmess to work but it does not seam to work either, I have a
> hotmail address set-up but I still can not login via MDK 9.2. I would
> prefer to use gaim but I have tried changing its setting, I think
> Microbe Softie are playing up. Could it possibly be some thing to do
> with the port setting (1832), as that is the only thing I have not tried
> changing. All I get is that its protocol is not supported. Thanks.

Hi,

I have used Gaim for a while, the current version 1.0.3 is great, which
version are you using? If it is a reasonably old version it may have some
issues with the protocol used by MSN, and if it is a version prior to
October 03 you stand almost no chance of getting it to work.

As for the port setting, if you are using iptables for your firewall it
may be worth checking that you have ip_conntrack loaded either as a module
or compiled into the kernel and also check that depending on your network
layout your rules allow for either INPUT or FORWARDING of packets whose
state is ESTABLISHED,RELATED. That way you shouldn't need specific ports
opening.

--
Richard