[Nottingham] A drop of port

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Dec 3 14:41:05 GMT 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Robert Ross wrote:
> Just checked the file and they are on different ports, so no luck there (but
> it is an issue I shall keep in mind)
>
> Ta for the input. I may try a different config or maybe an earlier version
> of Tomcat.

Going back a bit...
> when I start up tomcat I get an 'could not connect to localhost (port
> 8080)'.

I presume that error is falling out of the Tomcat (or Catalina) output file?

In what context does that occur?

1. Attempting to bind a listener to port 8080, or
2. Attempting to connect some sort of handler to the Tomcat server on port
8080 in order to pass stuff through to it?

I don't know what Cocoon is [0], but I'm betting that Tomcat isn't starting
correctly and the failure is being logged by the Coccon thingy.

Can we get a bit more logfile context to see where exactly the error arrives?
Try to plonk it on a webserver somewhere and mail the URL rather than filling
the list up with logs, or email me directly.

Note also that /etc/services is only a lookup table for the IANA-assigned
service names on specific ports. Lots of apps use 80[08][01] for things, and
you more commonly find web caches on 3128 these days ;-)
See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers for more details. That doc
now has 8080 as "http-alt", so you can see where the confusion arises!

Graeme

[0] Yes, I could Google for it. And I might, later on.