[Nottingham] Which distribution?

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 16:18:12 GMT 2004

Thanks for your reply.

A couple of things

1) I realised that I'd typed Windows 95 SE, when I should have typed Windows 98 SE - can I assume that this does make any difference to what you said?

2) You mentioned the difference between 'reformatting' and 'resizing partitions'. I assume that I only have one partition on my harddrive, therefore am I right in thinking that that I'm unable to 'resize partitions' and would need to reformat the whole drive if I'm to run both Linux and Windows off the same HD?

Thanks again

Ron

Robert Postill <robert at grinning-cat.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:31, Ron Wilton wrote:

> I have a computer with Windows 95 Second edition, but am also wanting
> to install Linux.
Don't worry its quite common. All the major distributions will allow
you to do that.
> Is there a distribution that can reformat the hard-drive without
> losing the existing Windows setup?
A number of distributions (distros) allow you to resize partitions.
Reformatting is trashing the entire thing, which I presume you don't
want to do. If you pick up a Linux magazine (WH Smith sell a few) then
you'll likely find a distro on the cover (I assume you have a CD-ROM
drive). I use SuSE, others on the list use Mandrake or Fedora. All
three should give you the opportunity to resize your partition. They're
pretty similar, but pick Mandrake or SuSE if you want paid (as in
telephone) support.
> until I have successfully got everything working under Linux.
Now you're either in a good deal of luck (if you can make tonight's
meeting in Beeston) or if you can't make it you're about to get familiar
with Google. Dependant on what you've got (cheap generally equals
troublesome) most devices have some info on Google.

Hope that helps.
Robert.
--
Robert Postill