Telco rants (Was: [Nottingham] Slashdot...)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 19:51:00 GMT 2004

Dave Silvester wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> This is my first post to the list, having only joined today.

Welcome to the list, and to the rants!

[---]
> Anyway, the reason I'm contacting this list is because I'm seriously at the
> end of my tether with NTL and their crappy transparent web cache.  I'm a bit

The worst I suffer is having to do a ctl-shift-r on certain web pages,
and also being bittorrent aware of them.

> of a Slashdot junkie, and in the last few days I've noticed that now even my
> Firefox RSS feed has been banned.

That's more a problem of Slashdot blinkeredness and MS-crap MS-virus
fallout.

[---]
> I don't fundamentally object to the idea of surfing through a web cache, but
> when it's forced upon me, with no mention of it before the 12-month
> minmum-term signup, and when it's banned by my favourite site, and when the
> company responsible for it can't even be bothered to reply to an email about
> it--- that's when I start losing my rag!

Yes, slightly irksome with your high 'new' expectations.

The "1GByte/day" 'rule' seems to be fairly relaxed and is more to stop
certain download junkies breaking the local networks. The 'rule' seems
to be extremely relaxed if you're downloading from the news binaries
servers--- 65GBytes later and no letter--- (:-))

[---]
> NTL apparently don't give a damn, which makes me pretty annoyed that I'm
[---]

That all depends--- I've recently had direct contact with their
technical people whom have been very helpful. I'm presently talking to
an NTL contact for some phone number transfers and I'm getting
infinitely better service than how I've been arrogantly stuffed by BT.

(BT: You want your ISDN number changed on a Sat? That's £140 then!---
Number divert, that's £50 each--- plus extras. But, but, but, it's just
a 5 minute job on a vt100 -> exchange--- Ahhh--- but its a very
'technical' vt100 terminal--- Oh, and you must wait 2 weeks, and we've
agreed with OfCom to take exactly two days to read the authorising
letter (no fax). But I contacted you about this FOUR weeks ago. Oh but
that's different to "BT Authorising", and oh further, we only count
'working' days, not Saturday--- And there's other bureaucratic arcanery---)

The time I've lost in NTL's call centres is counted in minutes rather
than quite a few painful BT _HOURS_.

And the broadband link simply works, as do their phones. No issues.

(NTL: Free installation and free number transfer, £1.75pm call divert,
no 'extras'.)

There does seem to be a lottery in that a few people suffer great
confusion (by them or NTL) and so suffer a bad time. However, BT must
have much the larger of the complaints 'black hole'.

(And then unfortunately there is the BT telephone poles saga---)

martin at ml1.co.uk