[Nottingham] Conflicting packages?

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Dec 19 23:03:28 GMT 2004

Just been trying to update some packages via urpmi....

I've got a general update running as a cron job, and last night it failed -
all the error messages related to missing  kdebase-progs-3.2.92-1mdk.i586

Just tried

urpmi kdebase-progs

but it failed at the install stage due to this sort of thing (three sample
mesages out of quite a lot, but these three contain all the existin files
with which conflicts are reported):

file /usr/share/applications/kde/kdepasswd.desktop from install of kdeba
se-common-3.2.92-1mdk conflicts with file from package
kdeutils-kdepasswd-3.2-18.1.100mdk

file /usr/share/apps/kicker/default-discovery-apps from install of kdeba
se-common-3.2.92-1mdk conflicts with file from package
mandrakelinux-kde-config-file-10.1-6.1.100mdk

file /usr/bin/kdepasswd from install of kdebase-progs-3.2.92-1mdk confli
cts with file from package kdeutils-kdepasswd-3.2-18.1.100mdk

So it seems I have files installed which are preventing the update working -
one answer would seem to be to delete them and try again, but will that cause
me more trouble?  Or is this just happening because I'm running urpmi from
within KDE - should I close the KDE session, use ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a
non-graphic console, and try again?

TIA for the usual help!
--
David Aldred