[Nottingham] Best distribution with apt for a newbie?

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Mon Feb 2 11:47:01 GMT 2004

Simon Osborne wrote:

> > Why not use Debian? :)
>
> I tried it, but it didn't detect any of my hardware and the
> command based install is way too difficult for me (I know next
> to nothing about Linux)

I found Debian to be something of a disappointment and certainly
wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.  It failed to recognise some
key bits of hardware and the install process was far too much
hassle, even for a Unix professional with ten years' experience.

I suspect that a lot of its appeal stems from the fact that it's
the distro equivalent of a crossword, or a jigsaw puzzle - great
for hobbyists with time on their hands who like a challenge.