[Nottingham] Best distribution with apt for a newbie?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 07:54:19 GMT 2004

Simon Osborne wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>> Simon Osborne wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Mandrake - I can't stand it. It's way too bloated and slow on my system.
>>
>> ???!
>> What system are you running?
>> (CPU, RAM, HDD, LAN specs?)
>

> AMD Duron 700MHz
> 256mb PC2100 ram
> 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI
> Allied Telesyn PCI network adapter (Realtek based)
> Onboard C-media 6ch audio

That should just be fast enough. But then, the perception of 'speed' is
all very relative...

Note that there is a bit of a delay in starting up some of the big apps
such as OpenOffice and Gimp. Otherwise, if it is slow, check that your
LAN settings are correct. Also, you can get a good internet speedup by
enabling the DNS caching that is likely installed.

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk