[Nottingham] Vocab

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Sat Feb 7 17:53:15 GMT 2004

Hi

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 17:43, Michael Leuty wrote:
> Please may I enquire the meaning of the passive verb "to be
> slashdotted"?
> The website fedoranews.org claims to be the subject of this verb.

slashdotted: to feature in a news item on the popular geek news website
http://www.slashdot.org/ and to suffer a huge number of visitors as a
result. Websites "being slashdotted" often disappear from the Internet
as a result of having infrastructures unable to cope with said load.
Often referred to as "the /. effect". Known within the industry as a
"cursed blessing".

[OK, the last bit's probably b***ocks, but it's true!]

HTH :)

Graeme
--
Graeme Fowler <graeme at graemef.net>