[Nottingham] <OT> Intel specific optimisiation benchmark

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 14:20:41 GMT 2004

Martin wrote:
> Paul Sladen wrote:
> [...]
>
>> http://google.com/groups?selm=a13e403a.0402091438.14018f5a@posting.google.com

An interesting suspicion:

###
From: Chris (andreiparis at msn.com)
Subject: Re: sleazy intel compiler trick (SOURCE ATTACHED)

Message 112 in thread
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: 2004-02-12 01:22:23 PST

One other way to possibly bypass Intel "protection" :

Since Windows XP is using a CPU driver located into
c:\windows\system32\drivers\amdk7.sys or amdk6.sys, I think that we
could be able to modify the AMD CPU's ids by changing the "line" that
specify the id. Thus, people running Athlon could see their
performances increase. So it would be rather simple... in theory.
Or why an AMD user couldn't use a P4 driver ? That way people might
get benefits onto their AMDs.
We could also create a program that emulate a P4 id. I don't think
that so complicated...

In fact, the "compiler trick" would be the reason why Intel gets
better performance on 3DSMax, Media Encoding, several games,
...However, I mustn't misapprehend : it's only a supposition.
###

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk