[Nottingham] strange problem with apache webserver

Steve Bridges steve.bridges at hosteurope.com
Thu Feb 19 16:54:03 GMT 2004

> I cant access http://ah.homelinux.com/~monkey/buttons/  (a
> folder in one of my
> hostee's websites.

Just to rule out the simple but easy to overlook possibility first, have
you got a porn blocking proxy set up?

At one place where I worked, the sysadmin installed a proxy with
blocking turned on, and shortly after, we found that some images on
sites we'd designed worked fine internally but on the hosting site they
were broken. After much puzzling, we figured out that the buttons were
being blocked by the proxy, since they had names like 'info_butt.gif'
and it blocked it due to the word 'butt' in the image name.

Steve