[Nottingham] Rename volume label

Dan Mackdermott dan at inputlink.net
Mon Feb 23 14:49:50 GMT 2004

Hi Robb,

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Robert Ross wrote:
> I have tried it and now when the box boots up I get a "couldn't find
> matching filesystem LABEL=usr"
>
> I suspect I will have to go into /etc/fstab to change something in the file.
> Is there anywhere else I need to go?

You don't need to use labels in fstab.  You can just use the device names.

i.e.

instead of:
LABEL=/usr   /usr   ext3    defaults  0 0

use:
/dev/hda3    /usr   ext3    defaults  0 0

When the kernel has finished booting, it'll look at /etc/fstab for
information on file systems to mount.  If it sees 'LABEL=/usr', it'll look
for a partition with that label and barf if it doesn't see one.  If you
specify the device '/dev/hda3', it won't even bother looking at the label.

If you like, post your current fstab and I'll highlight the changes
required...

Cheers,

Dan

--