[Nottingham] any thoughts on distros?

Robert Macaraeg utahbob62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 20:19:49 GMT 2004

I have doing some research on dumping MS windows and installing linux on a

Dell Latitude notebook P2 300Mhz, w/128Mb RAM and a 6Gb, that I will be getting soon.

It looks like it Libranet has many good recommendations like the previous post and this article (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5274) and no major detractors.  I am new at using linux and will be trying to install it as soon the CDs arrive. I was just going to reformat the head drive with whipe MS windows off the computer and then do an install. I will be buying some books for new users to Linux to help during the transition soon. I plan to join the Linux users group next month (can not attend due to work conflict). Any other helpful tips? After reading what MS has in store for users with the digital rights issues, it gave me the willies. Time to switch.
Cheers,
Bob

Bunter Matthew <matthew.bunter at renaultvi.com> wrote:
Craig,

Libranet is my distro of choice after trying RH, Suse, Mandrake and an attempt with Debian (Libranet is Debian made easier BTW). Mike Leuty on this list also uses it - he would be able to answer the more technical questions better than I can. The latest versions have to be paid for but you get a polished result. One of my favourite aspects was that IceWM is the default WM. Fast, unobtrusive and keyboard friendly. An older version of Libranet is available for free download though.

One downside (from my point of view) is the mix of stable, testing and unstable packages. I have my sources list to point to stable now after being burnt by Evolution. Maybe more experienced Debian users don't have this problem but it certainly caused me pain.

My experience with RPM left a sour taste. However I understand that up2date and other tools now give the same reliability to RPM that apt, aptitude, dselect and Synaptic have.

Regards,

Matt