[Nottingham] any thoughts on distros?

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Mon Jan 5 20:49:22 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 09:29, Bunter Matthew wrote:
> Libranet is my distro of choice after trying RH, Suse, Mandrake and an attempt with Debian (Libranet is Debian made easier BTW). Mike Leuty on this list also uses it

I hate to disillusion you, but I've been using Fedora Core 1 ever since
it was released.

> One downside (from my point of view) is the mix of stable, testing and unstable packages. I have my sources list to point to stable now after being burnt by Evolution. Maybe more experienced Debian users don't have this problem but it certainly caused me pain.

It caused me a lot of pain too, which is why I switched to Fedora.
However Libranet are addressing the problem and developing their own
Debian archive to allow users to upgrade their systems safely.

Fedora provides a new beta-tested version every 4-6mth which is about as
close to the bleeding edge as I am comfortable with, plus security
updates between versions.

I find Fedora attractive because I am not very knowledgeable and need my
hand held. Debian is just too advanced. I have bought a big thick book
(Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed) to help me understand things a bit and will
also be useful for putting my budgie down if need be. There are lots of
resources springing up such as the excellent FedoraNews.org with walk
through tutorials on customising your system.

My Fedora bookmarks include:
http://fedora.redhat.com/
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/
http://www.fedoranews.org/
http://fedora.artoo.net/forum/

I'd be happy to recommend either Libranet or Fedora to newbies, but
don't attempt to upgrade the former until the new archive is ready.
--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>