[Nottingham] Jack Schofield and libel... longish....

Matt Hurst matthurst at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 10 17:23:42 GMT 2004

I'm strictly only twiddling with Linux on a Knoppix disc at the moment,
till I can justify a bit of upgrading etc. to simplify installing something
properly (thanks for the advice last year guys, btw) , but I do know a bit
about legals and the meeja, and such. So I can actually contribute
something here...

If you want to something corrected in the Guardian, there a couple of
routes to pursue.

Firstly, email Jack Schofield (jack.schofield at guardian.co.uk, is the usual
format). His email will be on the website somewhere. Explain politely and
briefly what particular factual errors he's made, and ask him to correct
them.  Newspapers have lawyers and other legal types check things, so I
doubt it is actually libellous in the sense of anything standing up in
court. My guess he'll get a biggish postbag from that piece and you won't
be the only one. He should be abiding by the Guardian's editorial code:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardian/article/0,5814,642387,00.html

Then the Guardian has a readers' editor, Ian Mayes, whose job it is to deal
with readers' complaints. His email is reader at guardian.co.uk, Include your
email to Jack Schofield. Again, courtesy and brevity will get you further
than a twenty page techie rant.

As a final measure, there's always the Press Complaints Council, though I'm
not sure what guideline Schofield might've broken with this piece.

I'm not sure what you consider libellous in the article. But here's some
basic rules of thumb about libel (I'm not a lawyer, just a working hack and
we have to know the basics. As a disclaimer, I'm not saying this as legal
advice in any way at all and would recommend you took qualified advice from
people who know what they're talking about if you're going to pursue the
legalities).

1. Impugning somebody's professional abilities, or making allegations which
might damage their professional standing, or business, is libellous, if
your words might be taken that way by a 'reasonable person'.
2. If something's provably true in court, it can't be libellous.
3. Comments are free (in the speech sense), facts are sacred. Commenting on
true facts isn't libellous, however unfair the opinion. There's a defence
called 'fair comment' which basically covers anything that's opinion,
however unfair it may be and the line between the implying a fact and
commenting on something keeps libel lawyers busy. As a purely hypothetical
example which I'm in no way saying is the case, EG, 'Linus Torvalds can't
write code and is a fraud' is libellous, as it is (a) wrong and (b) impugns
him professionally. Saying 'The original Linux kernel is a badly written
piece of software', isn't libellous.
4. Implying somebody's done something for malign motives is libellous, and
motivation is very difficult to prove.
5. You have to be identify, at most, a limited number of people who have
been libelled. You can't libel all Linux programmers, though you could
probably libel, say Mandrake's marketing department. It's a size thing.
(the alternative is, say, everyone under 5'5 being able to sue Randy
Newman.... It would just be silly, especially given what vindictive
bastards shortarses are.)
6. You don't have to name anyone to libel them, just make someone (anyone)
able to identify them.
7. Libel actions are expensive and unless you're slightly richer than
Croesus, don't get any illusions about suing. It won't be worth it.
8. Have I Got News For You notwithstanding, using the word 'allegedly'
makes not a jot of difference to libel.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me off list if you want.

cheers

Matt