[Nottingham] Defn of Architecture WAS: http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/etc...

Bunter Matthew matthew.bunter at renaultvi.com
Mon Jan 12 12:33:54 GMT 2004

>> The open source movement currently has no way of developing
>> independent software architectures, or even of performing simple
>> usability testing. And it shows.

>Well I just don't know what he means by independent software
>architectures. Architectures are normally hardware, not software, so I'm
>not quite sure what he's saying.

I'm not sure what your work experience is, but I have done several projects in which architecture involved both hardware and software and several more which have been software and process changes and/or upgrades only.

On the other hand, have MS developed independent software architectures? No since they probably don't develop for VMS, OS/390, BeOS etc etc.

Reminds me of reviewers who write how hard it is to go from Windows to installing a Linux distro .... have they EVER tried going from Linux to Windows to compare?

I'll be getting back to work now,

Matt ;-)