[Nottingham] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

Michael Erskine Michael.Erskine at JASMIN.PLC.UK
Thu Jan 15 11:40:49 GMT 2004

Bob Ham wrote:

> At 7:25 I step onto Stoney Street.  At 7:35 I finally find Broadway
> Business Centre.  At 7:40 I leave, having got no answer.  F***ING
> GRRRRR.

Yes, we're sorry that this happened Bob, the Broadway Business Centre is
quite hard to find and the downstairs door security is a problem for
latecomers esp. for an event like this where nobody wants to be waiting
outside of the meeting watching the door to let people in.

At 7:27 I was watching the door for Phil who hadn't visited the venue
before - he phoned me and I talked him through the directions - the
phone call lasted 2mins 11sec so he probably walked past you. At that
point we went into the meeting.

Now, if everyone heading for the meeting was to wear a huge stuffed
penguin on their heads :) then it would be easier to spot stragglers and
for stragglers to spot others.

I would recommend (and perhaps this should be mentioned on the webpage)
that first-timers to the venue should either team up with a "buddy" on
the list beforehand to meet up somewhere less obscure or to phone said
buddy and be talked through the directions and be let in when the
meeting has started.

What do people think? I like the penguin hat idea - or something more
sensible to help members identify each other and overcome our UK
reservedness to ask "are you heading for the LUG meeting?". I also like
the idea of putting member digital photos and bios on the website so
that folks can put list names to faces before, during, and after "big
room" meetings.

Michael.