[Nottingham] Best distribution with apt for a newbie?

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Sat Jan 31 21:08:39 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 21:00, Simon Osborne wrote:
> I'm stuck in a muddle trying to find a distribution that gives me
> everything I want.

Don't we all, dearie.  ;-)

> Fedora core 1 - Easy to install, but the update servers are very slow
> and I couldn't find any mirrors.

There's loads and loads. In yum.conf replace

#[base]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

with

baseurl=http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os

Lots of useful info for newbies at http://www.fedoranews.org

> I'm thinking a debian based distribution would be best.

In that case Libranet would be what you need (though you will have to
pay for the latest version). Doing apt system upgrades can easily break
your system, but Libranet have just set up a carefully designed set of
repositories to enable you to upgrade safely.

--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>