[Nottingham] Mandrake 10, xp dual boot, designing an installation....

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri Jul 23 17:47:13 BST 2004

In message <410045C4.9030705 at ml1.co.uk>, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>
writes:
>David Aldred wrote:
>>   From what I can see, the likely way to avoid the issue is:
>>  - Partition under Windows using Partition Magic or similar (I
>>haven't  checked yet - does this create all the partition types Linux
>>needs?)
>>  - Check that the BIOS IDE access Mode is set to LBA
>>  - Install Mandrake 10, selecting LILO as the boot manager
>>  - Pray fervently.
>
>Good summary!

Just to save me all the hassle of getting it and trying it, anyone know
if Partition Magic will shift data in a Windows partition out of its way
in order to create a new partition?

XP Defrag and Diskeeper are both stubbornly leaving some unfragmented
files at the end of the drive - I can't see any good reason why since
they are not flagged on the analysis as unmovable, but unless you want
to repartition it wouldn't be a problem, of course!  And of course I
don't want to use a Linux partitioning tool at this stage since it may
be an issue with the Linux tools I've got that I'm trying to avoid (um,
that sentence could probably be rephrased, but you know what I mean).

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England