[Nottingham] Re: Mandrake 10, xp dual boot, designing an installation....

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jul 26 22:30:21 BST 2004

In message <20040721204937.0d347211.james.gibbon at virgin.net>, James
Gibbon <james.gibbon at virgin.net> writes:

>I've used the HCF driver 'hcfpcimodem' with kernel 2.4, and it works
>great, but I'm told it won't play nicely with 2.6.

As you may have gathered, I'm not yet properly started on the change on
the main PC; I think I've found a version of the hcfpcimodem driver
compiled for the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel at

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads-mdk-x86.php

Worth a try!

>>         - and on a similar (to some extent) question, is there something
>> which tells me whether there is a live internet connection on a machine
>> which is dialling up?  I'd like to automate news collection using cron
>> and fetchnews, running fetchnews every (say) fifteen minutes *if* there
>> is a live connection, but not otherwise.
>
>If I understand you correctly, something like
>
>netstat -i | grep ppp > /dev/null
>
>.. and check the error code.

This needs to be on the machine with the dial-up modem running,
presumably, (and that's the obvious place to hold the newsbase anyway),
so again I'll have to try it at a later stage!

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England