[Nottingham] Tape Backup failure

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 09:35:15 BST 2004

ok, so having had a couple more nights tinkering I seem to have something more productive in the way of error messages.  It seemed happy enough to read back off tapes, and also to write a.n.other user's files, so I set it back to do '/home'.  The output from con is below.  Looks like I need a plumber.  I guess I don't know enough about pipes, but '/dev/st0' works writing other stuff to tape, and that '/home' will back up locally.  What do I have wrong? any suggestions please?

Cheers,
Dave

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar (child): /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/bin/backup: line 14:  2248 Broken pipe             tar -czf /dev/st0 /home