[Nottingham] Re: Tape Backup failure

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 11:28:57 BST 2004

I had a feeling that might be the case but thought 'Tinker #2' indicated it should fit

--quote--
Tinker #2- change the scrpit to backup /home locally.  This works and gives a tarball of ~2849Mb.  The tapes are 24Gb, so to my mind this should fit...
--quote--

Having read a couple of posts (I think elsewhere) about huge e-mails from backup crons I was tiptoeing round getting a verbose output, but I'll set it up, and change to a local mail...

Cheers

Dave

>>> james.gibbon at virgin.net 06/10/04 11:11am >>>
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:34:30 +0100
"David Wolfson" <eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> ok, so having had a couple more nights tinkering I seem to have
> something more productive in the way of error messages.  It seemed
> happy enough to read back off tapes, and also to write a.n.other
> user's files, so I set it back to do '/home'.  The output from con is
> below.  Looks like I need a plumber.  I guess I don't know enough
> about pipes, but '/dev/st0' works writing other stuff to tape, and
> that '/home' will back up locally.  What do I have wrong? any
> suggestions please?

tar is a bit cryptic with respect to error reporting, I'm afraid.  Is it
possible that you hit the end of the tape, ie /home is too big to fit
on your DAT tape?  I'm sure I've seen the "Wrote only 0 of .." message
myself in similar circumstances.

You might consider addin the 'v' flag to your command line so you can see
what's getting written (if anything :D)