[Nottingham] Invisible NIC

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Jun 15 21:38:51 BST 2004

Hi folks,

Having just invested in a wireless router, I've just moved my wireless
NIC (a PCI card with the Broadcom chipset) from my usual desktop machine
(now hardwired to the router) to my old Compaq 266MHz PII desktop.
Unfortunately, the Compaq can't see it - it doesn't show up at all in the
output from lspci.

I've tried moving it to the other spare slot, but the Compaq wouldn't even
boot up with it there.

Just dug out the NIC's box and it states as a requirement a "PCI expansion
slot (2.1 or higher)" - however I have no idea what 2.1 refers to here.

Is there anything I can do, or is it a lost cause?  Any way to know if my
Compaq's PCI slots are "2.1 or higher"?

Thanks,
James