[Nottingham] Networking tip: Traffic shaping to minimise latency

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 22:36:42 BST 2004

Peter Chang wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Martin wrote:
>>Yet another one of those 'check out a man page at random' and... Yet
>>another set of first rate features already in the kernel just waiting to
>>be tweaked!
>
> [snipped]
>
> Look for wondershaper. It's what I use for broadband. Essentially, TCP/IP
> wasn't designed for asymmetric links so you need to limit your upload and
> download rates if you have any large ftp/large http/bittorrent traffic
> and want good interactive responses (ssh sessions, irc, etc).

Thanks.
Is that a GUI front-end?

Those tc commands do just that, but from the command line, and they're
likely already with your distro.

There's also "tinker" (or "trickle") which I've not looked at.

Some further links for those wanting more of the story:
http://qos.ittc.ukans.edu/
http://diffserv.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/

... and this stuff seems already to be in this 2.6 kernel...

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk