[Nottingham] Installation problems - Mandrake 10

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jun 28 22:45:21 BST 2004

In message <001b01c45d51$0d4cfd20$0e00000a at wavdqqrm>, Peter Woods
<peterwoods at f2s.com> writes:
>The first hardware I had on this machine
>would always *rap out in the same place on a
>certain CD!
>It wasn't the CD, it was the CD-ROM device.
>That CD drive would install Red Hat 6? in
>about 4 hours of re-reads.
>A new CD (RW) sorted it.

< this is Peter, David's son - it's my PC we've been attempting to
install Mandrake 10 on >

Thanks very much for all the help so far, but unfortunately nothing's
worked yet (tried more than one CD drive, more than one CD, cleaned CD's
thoroughly, disabled PnP, disabled acpi...).

Unless anyone has a blinding flash of solution I'm now considering
trying a different distro to get round the problems. Does anyone have
any recommendations - something on the front of a magazine or within
easy reach of Beeston? I'm a new Linux user, so more towards the graphic
interface than the console would be best.

Thanks again!
--
Peter Aldred