[Nottingham] CAD and Linux

SkArcher SkArcher at ceasethinking.com
Thu Mar 4 20:10:12 GMT 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:00:13 -0000, David RS Cameron
<david.r.s.cameron at colwick-instruments.com> wrote:

> AutoCAD is such an expensive and heavy package with a lengthy learning
> curve.  You may not be aware of a CAD package called DesignCAD which has
> been around for at least as long as AutoCAD. DesignCAD is very much
> easier to learn and can handle formats compatible with AutoCAD.  It is a
> much smaller package but I have never found it to be short of any
> facility I require.  One of the things I like about it (from a computer
> point of view) is that it lives in it's own directory and can be picked
> up and moved (even to another machine) without causing Windows to throw
> a wobbly!  I have used various versions of DesignCAD for around 20 years
> and it was the first CAD or drawing package which managed to move me
> away from a drawing board for some stuff.  I have also used AutoCAD, but
> prefer DesignCAD.  I have used DesignCAD on both Windows and Linux boxes
> and found no problem on either.  Don't be put off by it's price being
> some two to three thousand pounds less than AutoCAD .. it is a first
> class CAD package and it can handle ALL types of drafting including
> architectural.
>
> http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=80
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Thank you for the recomendation: one of the things that makes AutoCAD a
likely choice however is that the one person who already uses a CAD
package is used to AutoCAD

Cost issues are a major consideration though, so I will forward this
information on and see what is said.

Al