[Nottingham] Removing broken deb

David Luff daveluff at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 4 21:21:39 GMT 2004

Alex Tibbles writes:

> This seems similar:
> http://linux.ucla.edu/pipermail/linux/2001-February/004728.html
> follow up here:
> http://linux.ucla.edu/pipermail/linux/2001-February/004729.html
>
> You might be able to follow the advice in the follow
> up. Cheat the broken script. Remove the package.
> Manually do what the script does (correctly)?
>
> Good luck.

Many thanks for the reply.  I finally managed to sort it thanks to the first of the links above.  For the record, I was trying dpkg --purge, but the trick was to use dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq in order to break out of the try-to-purge-get-told-to-reinstall, try-to-reinstall-get-told-to-remove cycle.

It's great to have a working apt back again :-)

Cheers - Dave