[Nottingham] Which Bootloader?

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Mon Mar 8 16:22:16 GMT 2004

Hello,

> > [snip: dd line ]
> For example my system boots from hdc, and the system may even have been
> booted from a floppy disk or usb-ram or whatever...

The line was meant to be an example. Some of the systems use SCSI
disks, some use RAIDD etc., but the end result was the same. Some
threw up lilo, some nothing; while I could just guess that the ones
which say nothing are GRUB, I'm really after a somewhat more reliable
way of finding out. These are co-located boxes (I probably should've
mentioned that in the last mail), so boot from floopy or other
external media is unlikely.

> Look at the dates on the lilo/grup config files?
> Search through the logs for updates??

Tried that, but also see point below.

> Improve your own records? Keep a 'notes' file on the relevant machine??
> Why???

Unfortunately we don't always (which is a polite way of saying never)
get a summary of how the machine is set up, when we take them
over and unfortunately the people who own don't necesarily know
anything about the inner workings of the machine.

Regards,
  Johannes