[Nottingham] Which Bootloader?

David Bean david at dbean.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 9 12:06:18 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 11:00, Johannes Kling wrote:
> I agree that it would be the most reliable way of telling if I knew
> precisely what LILO and GRUB but into the MBR. The unreliability
> comment related to relying on strings to fish for hints in it.

Some descriptions of the MBR code for lilo and grub.

http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/mbr/GRUB.htm
http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/mbr/LILOmbr.htm

To detect grub, I would mask off the variable information, like the
partition table, Bios parameter block and NT drive serial number.
I would then compare the installed MBR with the /boot/grub/stage1
(should be somewhere) installed on the machine.

David Bean