[Nottingham] Load balance...Linux solution.

Colin Saxton colin.saxton at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 15 20:31:38 GMT 2004

Hi all...

Interesting problem here that is itching for a Linux solution. I am
currently involved in setting up a heterogeneous network which needs to
be load balanced. Due to the nature of the applications that are running
some are client/server and others are multi-tier. The client that I am
doing this for is thinking in investing in some hardware load balancing
solution that is costing 13k per unit...I think that this is madness and
suggested that I would check out the community to see if there is any
solution out there that would work for them.

They are going to need to have load balancing for around 400 users some
using HTTP and others using terminal server client (RDP!). Linux/Windows
clients will be connecting to the cluster through some type of load
balancer...As anyone come across any good Linux server solutions that
could handle this load. The servers that require load balancing are
windows and Linux servers...(They have mixed legacy apps running along
side a pilot system...they will need this setup for quite a while). I
have started to look at RedHat's piranha services but I am open to other
suggestions.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
	Colin.