[Nottingham] Newbie Setting up server for home network

Michael Erskine (at home) perl at tecspy.com
Tue Mar 16 17:49:50 GMT 2004

Mark Ratcliffe wrote:

 > I`m planning on setting up a home network (probably over the coming
weekend) using an old p1 clone machine (32meg of ram) running linux as a
router/server/firewall for my NTL BroadBand connection. This box will
then be connected to my missus` Windoze XP machine and my linux box via
a Linksys 5 port workgroup hub.

Hey - I just did this! Mines a P60 (don't laugh - it cost a thousand
quid ten years ago - OK, laugh now

 > Now, as it is I`m not exactly any sort of guru (only ever really had
linux as a desktop machine), so could anybody possibly point me in the
direction of any relevant web pages/links that might help me accomplish
this (for me) amazing feat of computing.

 > Whilst I`m here, I cant decide which distro to go for as the
firewall; the choices I have come down to-

 > Mandrake or
 > Smoothwall
 >
 > I do have a couple of other distros lying about but am not really
100% sure about configuring them so am leaving them alone for the moment.

I used Devil-Linux and I very much recommend it: very easy install for
the usual setups (e.g. 2 LAN cards); boots entirely from CD; no hard
drive involved; configuration is kept on a read-only floppy or USB key.
In a lot of ways this wasn't anything like trying out or learning a new
Linux distribution - just boot from it and follow the prompts.

 > TIA
 >
 > Mark

Regards,

Michael (now gainfully employed once again)